This is an oberstleutnant’s shoulder boards from Infanterie-Regiment Ferdinand von Braunschweig (8. Westfälisches) Nr 57. The regiment was founded in 1860 and garrisoned at Wesel. It was attached to the VII. ArmeeKorps. Each shoulder board measures 5 3/4″ x 2 1/4.” They have intertwined silver bullion ropes flecked with black chevrons, which confirm it was a Prussian regiment. One shoulder board has a small cut in a small portion of its silver bullion. Each shoulder board sports a gilt pip that proclaims its wearer as an oberstleutnant. In addition, the shoulder boards’ centers bear a gilt “57” as the regimental designation. Their reverses reveal a blue overlay. This matches the center of the regiment’s epaulettes. Some mothing appears on the blue material of each shoulder board. In addition, straps allow the shoulder boards to be slipped onto either the owner’s tunic or overcoat. It is a fine pair of shoulder boards from a regiment that saw service during wars in 1864, 1866, 1870, and 1914.