Various variations of the Felddienstzeichen were issued by Hesse-Darmstadt from 1780 through 1866. Changes in the decoration began in 1850. This variation is from 1840. The bronze-toned decoration’s obverse features Grand Duke Ludwig II’s crowned cypher. Below that is the date, 14 June 1840. The decoration’s reverse, which measures 1 1/4″ in diameter, displays “Für Treuen Dienst Im Kriege (For Loyal Service in War).” It presents a fine patina, and a sturdy jump ring at its top. No ribbon is included.