This is a consignment item. It is an officer’s “P” Guard sword with its scabbard, in fine condition. It represents Feldartillerie-Regiment Prinz-Regent Luitpold (Magdeburgisches) Nr 4. The regiment was founded in 1816, shortly after the Napoleonic Wars ended. It was garrisoned at Sprottau and assigned to the V. Armeekorps. The sword’s grip is manufactured of Bakelite® and is triple-wire-wrapped. Its blade is quite handsome and is engraved on both sides. Each side has a decorated blue panel that contrasts dramatically against the blade’s silvery surface. (An etched floral design also appears on each side, interspersed with military symbols). On one side we see an artillery caisson with an attached cannon. A spirited team of six horses pulls the caisson and cannon. Seated on the cannon are two soldiers facing rearward. Another two soldiers are seated forward on the caisson. A further three soldiers are astride the horse team (one rider for each yoked pair of horses). The other blue panel features “Feld.-Artill. Regt. Prinz Luitpold v. Bayern (Magdeb.) Nr 4.” The blade has no evidence of its manufacturer. A partial red felt buffer is in place.
The scabbard is of the single-ring design. It is painted black, with the paint about 95% complete. The final detail is a Prussian officer’s portépée, which has been tied to the handle.