Previous Page

HAMBURG – AWARD DOCUMENT – HANSEATIC CROSS

SKU: 31-43

$140.00

This is an award document for the Hanseatic Cross from the Free State of Hamburg. The document measures 13″ x 8 1/4.” At the document’s top is the Hamburg Coat-of-Arms. The award was made to Otto Dannhauer, who served in 5. Hannoversches Infantrie-Regiment Nr 165. This was one of the old-line regiments from the Kingdom of Hannover. The Prussian Army absorbed Hanoverian regiments in 1866, when Hannover fought with Austria against Prussia. The Duchy of Braunschweig, which was a vassal state of the Kingdom of Hannover, was also absorbed into Prussia. That Duchy did not gain a real measure of freedom until 1913, when its Duke (Herzog), Ernst August, married Kaiser Wilhelm’s only daughter, Viktoria Luise. 5. Hannoversches Infantrie-Regiment Nr 165 was founded in 1813, and proudly served at Waterloo in 1815. As a result the regiment’s members, like all Hanoverian regiments that served in the Napoleonic Wars at Waterloo and/or the Peninsula, wore bandeaux on the wappens of their pickelhauben, as authorized by Kaiser Wilhelm in 1897. Bataillons Nr 1 and Nr 3 were garrisoned at Quedlinburg, while Bataillon Nr 2 was based at Blakenburg. The regiment was assigned to the IV. Armeekorps. The document was awarded in 1918. While having been previously folded, this document is in very fine condition.


Description

This is an award document for the Hanseatic Cross from the Free State of Hamburg. The document measures 13″ x 8 1/4.” At the document’s top is the Hamburg Coat-of-Arms. The award was made to Otto Dannhauer, who served in 5. Hannoversches Infantrie-Regiment Nr 165. This was one of the old-line regiments from the Kingdom of Hannover. The Prussian Army absorbed Hanoverian regiments in 1866, when Hannover fought with Austria against Prussia. The Duchy of Braunschweig, which was a vassal state of the Kingdom of Hannover, was also absorbed into Prussia. That Duchy did not gain a real measure of freedom until 1913, when its Duke (Herzog), Ernst August, married Kaiser Wilhelm’s only daughter, Viktoria Luise. 5. Hannoversches Infantrie-Regiment Nr 165 was founded in 1813, and proudly served at Waterloo in 1815. As a result the regiment’s members, like all Hanoverian regiments that served in the Napoleonic Wars at Waterloo and/or the Peninsula, wore bandeaux on the wappens of their pickelhauben, as authorized by Kaiser Wilhelm in 1897. Bataillons Nr 1 and Nr 3 were garrisoned at Quedlinburg, while Bataillon Nr 2 was based at Blakenburg. The regiment was assigned to the IV. Armeekorps. The document was awarded in 1918. While having been previously folded, this document is in very fine condition.

%d bloggers like this: